Everyone knows that apple crumble is a very popular dessert. It’s a really comforting dessert especially for in the winter but enjoyed at anytime of the year!
Many people love the crumble topping the most – my sister can eat a bowl of the topping just on its own! So in this recipe I use a big quantity of topping so you get a nice thick crust of it. You can always half the topping ingredients if you don’t want as much.
In this version I use sultana, to give it a bit of a different texture, soaked in apple juice – this makes the sultanas moist. I also use oats in the topping for an added crunch.
As the weather is so bad at the moment this is the perfect dessert for these miserable nights
6 large servings
· 3 large cooking apples – peeled, cored and sliced
· 50g sultanas
· 3 tbsp. apple juice
· 100g light brown sugar
· 2 tsps. cinnamon
· 200g plain flour
· 100g butter
· 100g rolled oats
· 100g brown sugar
1. Combine the sultanas and apple juice in a small saucepan on a low heat until warm.
2. Place the apple slices in a baking tray then pour over the sultanas and apple juice.
3. Combine the 100g brown sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples
4. Combine the flour and butter together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
5. Stir in the oats and sugar.
6. Sprinkle over the apple, making sure it’s completely covered.
7. Bake for 30-40 mins until crisp and golden-brown.
Serve with custard, ice cream or cream for ultimate indulgence
Tip: everyone’s different with how sweet they like it – you might want to reduce the amount of sugar added to the apple or increase it depending on your tastes!