These pancakes are the perfect breakfast treat! they take a bit of time to prepare and make but they’re worth it when you get a bite. You can customise the batter by adding a handful of blueberries, chocolate chips etc. or keep it plain and add an assortment of toppings.
This recipe creates the softest fluffiest pancakes – the secret is the way you add the eggs! You whisk the egg whites until fluffy then incorporate them into the batter – this creates the fluffy texture.
· 135g plain flour
· 1 ½ tsp baking powder
· 250ml milk (room temperature)
· 2 tbsp. caster sugar
· 1 tbsp. oil
· 2 large eggs, separated (room temperature)
· Pinch of salt
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder together then set aside.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and milk until combined. Stir in the oil and mix well.
3. In another bowl whisk the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form. 1 Gently fold this in to the batter with a spatula, using a figure 8 motion, until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour the mixture into a jug 2 and heat the non-stick pan onto a medium heat.
5. Wipe pan with a little oil or spray with oil spray. Repeat this a few times to prevent the pancakes from sticking.
6. Pour a circle of batter onto the pan and cook until air bubbles form and the edges dry. 3 Using a spatula flip the pancake and cook until lightly brown.
7. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
8. There are all sorts of toppings you could top it with – fruit, honey, jam, chocolate spread etc the possibilities are endless!
1. Soft peaks- they’re just starting to hold they’re shape
2. You could also use a ladle or spoon to pour the mixture
3. This recipe is best used straight away
The two varieties I made were:
- Berries and honey – spread jam (I used cherry) between the layers, scatter an assortment of berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries) on top then drizzle over honey.
- Strawberries, chocolate and golden syrup – make chocolate chip pancakes then place chocolate spread between the layers, place strawberries on top then squeeze golden syrup over the top.