Cherries are one of them summer fruits that are only available for a short period of time. The sweet and juicy fruit are amzing on a hot day.
This recipe combines cherries with ground almonds in a muffin version of a cherry bakewell.
Almond muffin with fresh cherries and a cherry jam centre, topped with an almond streusel.
As you bite into these incredibly soft muffins you get a hit of freshness from the fresh cherries, the lovely gooeyness from the jam and a slight crunch from the streusel topping. It really does taste just like a cherry bakewell.
The ground almonds make this muffin incredibly soft. they’re so easy to make and a perfect summers treat.
Cherry & Almond Muffins
Makes 6 large muffins
- 100g ground almonds
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 100g butter
- Few drops almond extract
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 150g cherries, stoned and quartered
- Cherry jam
- 25g ground almonds
- 25g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 25g butter
- First make the streusel – stir the dry ingredients together until combined. Rub the butter in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- For the muffins – combine the ground almonds, caster sugar and eggs. Whisk until a thick paste.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter until soft and creamy.
- Add the butter into the almond mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour, milk and almond extract and combine.
- Stir through the cherries until evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases until half full.
- Add a teaspoon of cherry jam then cover with the rest of the muffin mixture.
- Place a handful of the streusel mixture on top of the muffins until completely covered.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until toothpick comes out clean.